Ever find yourself wanting to savor the moment by only smoking half a joint?
Or perhaps you’re in a situation where lighting up the entire thing might not be the best idea.
Whatever your reasons, there’s no need to feel compelled to finish a joint in one sitting.
Whether it’s about moderation, saving some for later, or just being conscious about consumption, it’s entirely possible (and practical) to smoke half a joint and store it safely for future use.
In this guide, we’ll uncover the best methods to safely extinguish your joint and keep it fresh for the next round.
So the next time you’re caught in two minds about lighting up, remember that you have options.
Let’s get started.
Can You Smoke Half a Joint and Save It for Later?
Yes. You can definitely save a joint for later consumption, but be aware that the taste will differ upon relighting.
Why is that?
Well, when you light a joint, the bud inside burns and reacts with oxygen. This burning produces things called PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).
These PAHs, found in stuff like cigarettes and gasoline, can affect our health and are a big reason why a relit joint tastes different.
While the taste changes, the joint’s effects remain the same when you smoke it again.
Now that we know it’s possible and why the taste might change, let’s talk about the different ways to properly save a burning joint for later.
How to Save a Burning Joint for Later
Here’s how you can keep your joint in prime condition for the next session:
1. Stubbing It
Stubbing is arguably the most commonly used technique. Essentially, it’s gently pressing the lit end of your joint against a hard surface to extinguish it.
- Tap off any excess ash gently.
- Hold your joint near the lit end, ensuring you don’t compromise its shape.
- Gently press the lit end onto a flat, hard surface.
- Repeat gently until the cherry is extinguished.
- Store in an airtight container or joint tube for optimal preservation.
2. Knocking It
This method involves dislodging the cherry by tapping the joint against a hard surface, like the side of an ashtray.
- Lightly tap off excess ash.
- Gently knock the joint on the corner of an ashtray or another sturdy surface.
- Repeat until the cherry falls off.
- Store in a suitable airtight container.
3. Grazing It
Grazing is a gentle method to extinguish your joint, ensuring it doesn’t lose its form.
- Get rid of any excess ash.
- Hold your joint securely.
- Lightly graze the lit end against the walls of your ashtray, ensuring you move horizontally.
- The cherry will break apart and fall off.
- Place your joint in a safe, dry container.
4. Flicking It
Flicking is about separating the burning part from the rest of the joint.
- Hold the joint securely between your fingers.
- Lightly flick the burning end over an ashtray, ensuring the cherry falls off.
- Do this gently to avoid damaging the rest of your joint.
- Secure your joint in an airtight container or tube for later use.
Also Check: What Happens When You Jerk Off While High?
5. Drowning It
Using a bit of water can effectively put out your joint. However, care is paramount to avoid making the rest of your joint too wet to relight.
- Dip just the tip of the joint into a tiny amount of water.
- Ensure only the cherry gets wet.
- Tap to shake off excess water.
- Allow it to dry slightly before storing in a container.
6. Cutting It
If you want precision, cutting is the way to go.
- Using sharp scissors or a cigar cutter, aim to slice off just the cherry.
- Place the remaining part of your joint into a suitable airtight container.
- Store it in a cool, dry place.
Each of these methods offers a different approach depending on your circumstances and tools available.
Highly Recommended: What are the Best Animated Movies While You’re High?
Related Questions About Saving Your Joint For Later
Here are some related questions about saving a joint for later, ensuring you won’t miss out on anything important:
To best preserve the flavor and potency of your joint, store it in an airtight container.
Glass or metal containers are preferable as they don’t allow air in and protect the joint from external odors.
Ensure the joint is cool to the touch before storing and keep it in a cool, dark place.
Try Reading: How Do You Remove Weed Smell?
Yes, joint extinguishers or snuffers are tools specifically designed to safely put out and store joints.
They provide an easy way to quickly extinguish the joint without compromising its shape or leaving any mess behind.
Some snuffers even come with storage compartments, making them a handy two-in-one tool.
Recommended: How Can You Smoke Weed Without Coughing?
Relighting a joint can increase the concentration of PAHs as the joint continues to burn and react with oxygen.
It’s always advisable to smoke in moderation and be aware of any changes in flavor or effects upon relighting.
If concerned about potential health risks, consider consuming cannabis through alternative methods, such as vaporizers or edibles, which don’t produce PAHs in the same way as combustion.
Also Read: Which is Better Between Eating Edibles and Smoking Weed?
And that concludes our topic on ‘how to extinguish a joint.’
We hope that the methods we’ve provided above are enough for you to use.
We know that we didn’t give a super in-depth explanation for each one, but hey, we also know that it’s more than enough.
In there, we try our best to provide the most sensible and factual answers that you might potentially ask.
Our products are open too as well.
And with that, we hope to see you in our next article.
Buy My Weed Online has everything you need, from premium strains to edibles and concentrates. With unbeatable prices, our online dispensary is guaranteed to be your go-to for all of your cannabis needs.
Shop now and join the thousands of satisfied customers who have already made us their top choice.